A DIFFERENT KIND OF PLAYBOOK

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Here We Go Again!


From the moment the New York Jets released their 2010 schedule, I knew tickets to the October 11 game against the Minnesota Vikings would be the perfect gift for my husband’s birthday. It would give us a chance to check out the new Meadowlands (and pay a ridiculous price for a beer), experience a Monday night game, and boo Brett Favre every time he touched the ball. What I didn’t know was that I wouldn’t boo him for using the Jets as a stopover before going to the team he really wanted to play for, Vikings, but for being so stupid. Why would he send former NY Jets sideline reporter, Jenny Steger, photos of his "little quarterback" and leave her voicemail messages inviting her to his room. What?! I thought the quarterback was supposed to be one of the smartest players on the team but maybe that only applies to Brett on the field. Oh, wait. Maybe not. After all, he is number 1 on the Top 10 NFL quarterbacks with the most interceptions with 310.

When Deadspin broke the story, I honestly wasn’t surprised that something like this could happen.  After Tiger Woods, I am not sure we will ever be surprised again.  Unfortunately, crude behavior has been a pattern in the NFL this season and as I mentioned in my No She Didn't post, this behavior is unacceptable.  However, I did wonder why Sterger waited two years to tell A.J. Daulerio from Deadspin her story because it did seem odd.   She claims that she didn’t want to say anything because she was afraid she would lose her job. I don’t buy that because she had the evidence to prove her claim, so she clearly had the upper hand.  I'd like to think that she is a Jets fan who held on to it until Vikings came to town to rattle Favre.  We may never know but really the bigger question for me is why did Favre send those photos. Sadly, I already know the answer. Sports figures like Favre believe they are invincible and do not believe they will get caught.   Yet, when they do get caught, because they usually do, they cry. Really?   So, now we are supposed to feel sorry for them.  I feel sorry for the wives, families, and teammates because they are thrown into a no win situation.  


By the way, did he really think she wouldn't share the photos and voicemails with anyone?

P.S.  The Jets won despite the terrible weather and gave Favre a different reason to cry.

1 comment: