A DIFFERENT KIND OF PLAYBOOK

Monday, October 25, 2010

Say Bye Bye to Shrink It and Pink It

It is about time the National Football League (NFL) kicked the “shrink it and pink it” philosophy to the curb and launched an apparel line for female sports fans.  I am sure we owe it all to a savvy marketing person who commissioned research study and discovered the extent of women's purchasing power.  I don't think the NFL needed the study because it is no secret that women shop a lot more than men and drive a lot of sales but every strategy needs numbers to back it up.  So, the plan was approved and the Fit for You apparel line was born.  Okay, time to retire the business talk and let's get down to the actual gear!

Alyssa Milano: Wearing cute laced up
NY Jets t-shirt.
Alyssa Milano: Sporting NY Giants
long sleeve shirt and jacket.
Did I mention how much I love the fact that my sports gear options are no longer between pink and baby blue?!  Serioulsy, I can remember going to the boys section at sporting goods stores trying to find the largest size that just might fit me and being so frustrated that I couldn't find my NY Yankees Andy Pettitte jersey.  Now, women have their own section!  If I was in the end zone, I would do a touchdown dance and just might wear high heel cleats.  What I love about this line is that it includes a wide range of price points from $4 - $150.  The line includes t-shirts, jerseys (and NOT just in pink!) pajamas, and other apparel with team logos and can be purchased on their website as well as retailers such as Kohl's, JCPenney, Dick's Sporting Goods, and Walmart.  LOVE IT!    


Also, I was happy to see that the ad campaign featured some of the NFL wives as well as celebrities like Alyssa Milano (above) to promote the line.  Again, great marketing!   Of course, the bestdecision was to include  Michelle Ryan (wife of NY Jets coach, Rex Ryan) who represents our team so well.  Go Jets!  

Michelle Ryan proudly wearing my
5-1 Jets gear!

 By the way, what do you think of the NFL's Fit for You line? 

P.S.  I look forward to buying my Jim Leonard, Dustin Keller, and Mark Sanchez NY Jets Jerseys in MY size!   Oh wait, I forgot about Bart Scott!


  






No comments:

Post a Comment