A DIFFERENT KIND OF PLAYBOOK

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Office Pools: Communal Betting


If you work in an office, chances are you've received an email inviting you to participate in a sports pool.   While most companies turn a blind eye to office pools because they believe it actually boosts employee morale, some companies prohibit it despite its popularity. During my interview with Christopher Pike*, who runs an NFL pool, I learned that a non-office pool policy can be overturned.

"...after talking with some of the executives at the office who play, it was decided to let it go. Since then, he [Pike's manager] has come around and even plays now. It really builds a lot of morale and camaraderie around the office, especially when the pool gets really big. It’s all anyone talks about."


They are many different types of office pools but the most popular one, which Pike runs, is the one that asks the participant to pick the team to win and/or cover the spread.
Pike provided me with a "day in the life" of an office pool coordinator during our brief interview.  
  1. How do you run the pool? I send the sheets out on Tuesday via email.  People hand in their picks to either myself or my partner between then and Thursday.  On Thursday night after dinner I start entering the sheets [picks] into an excel spreadsheet to create a “master list.”  After that’s done, I count the money to confirm the amounts agree.  On Friday morning, I email the master sheets with the pool amount.   Then, Sunday and Monday I check off the winners/losers as the game goes final. Finally, on I pay the winners on Tuesday morning.
  2. What has been the largest pool prize to date?  For a single week, I would say $4000 or so.  But when no one wins, the prize carries over.  Earlier this year it got up to $16,000.   Note: Each sheet is $10.  
  3. Do winners give you a cut?    If not, how does that make you feel? I would say this is a 50/50 split.  Gambling etiquette is that you tip 10% and some people do that.  Some people give a few bucks.  Some take the money, say thanks, and run.  We’re not allowed to take a cut otherwise it would be illegal.  When people tip, it is very much appreciated and makes me feel good considering how many hours a week I put into it.  When people don’t tip, it really pisses me off to the point of me threatening to cancel the pool.  But in the end, it is what it is.  Some people are great, some are NOT.  
  4. How much of  your personal time do you spend on coordinating?     A lot!  Too much if you ask my fiancée.  Thursday nights it usually takes me between 3-5 hours to do it all depending on the amount of entries.  Then on Sunday, it is all the checking off the incorrect entries and confirming the winners.  This goes on all day long as the games go final.
  5. Some people don't like to use their real names, what are some of the most unusual names submitted?  I don’t know, I’ve gotten some strange ones over the years.  Someone uses dopey Star Trek and Star Wars names.  Other people use body parts names.  One guy uses STD diseases.  If I had to pick one, I’d say “No Whammies No Whammies!” though.  
  6. How many women participate in the pool?  Men?  Last week we had 377 entries and 100 were women.
I wasn't surprised to learn that more women are participating and thought it would be great to hear from a regular.   Thanks to Pike, I had a quick call with one of his most engaged participant, Ms. Nyota Uhura.*

  1. Why do you play?  It's fun, light-hearted and it is like gambling in a communal way.   Now, I watch all the games! It actually makes the games more enjoyable unless, of course, my picks lose. 
  2. How do you select your picks? That's easy.  In order, team loyalty, injury report, last week's performance, and who has the better offense.  Bonus:  She is a Jets fan!  The interview was a breeze after she shared this fact with me.
  3. Pike mentioned that nearly 40% of all sheets are submitted by women.  Why do you think more and more women are participating in office pools?  I think it unifies them with their boyfriends, husbands, brothers, fathers, or friends and they are just as invested in the games as men.   Women are no longer in the kitchen.  We are now on the couch with the guys.
Uhura, who managed the March Madness pool at her last job, is a passionate football fan who can be seen every Sunday cheering her picks at a local sports bar with her friends and family. 

By the way, do you think office pools should be allowed?

*To protect identities, real names were replaced with fictional characters.
 

2 comments:

  1. Great post Lucy, I always wanted to know how to organize a betting pool. You're going to make me RICH!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lucy! I had no idea it takes so many hours to organize an office pool. No wonder the guy feels gypped if not he's not tipped! I bet a lot of people don't realize that tipping if you win the office pool -- and 10% at that -- is as regular (and expected) as it is when you pay the cabbie.

    ReplyDelete