A DIFFERENT KIND OF PLAYBOOK

Sunday, November 28, 2010

It's Tough in the Paint!


President Obama leaving Fort McNair after getting an elbow to the mouth.
On Friday, November 26, President Obama received an inadvertent elbow to his upper lip from Rey Decerega, director of programs for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute during a basketball game at Fort McNair that required 12 stitches.  As soon I heard about it, I thought about what might haven gone through Decerega's mind immediately following the incident.  My guess is "Oh, sh#t! I hope I don't get jumped by the Secret Service" but we may never know for sure.  In case you are wondering, Decerega walked away unharmed but I am sure he doesn't like being "the guy that elbowed the President."   If it was a regular pick up game between friends, this would not make the news.  When that pick up game involves the President of the United States, it is breaking news.   I feel bad for Decerega.  As I researched background for this post, I searched by Decerega's name.  Interestingly, the first 12 results included images of President Obama holding a napkin to his lip and headlines such as "White House Identified Player Who Injured Obama."  It must suck to be that identified player even if President Obama was cool about it and the Secret Secret did not kick his @ss.

President Obama received the stitches under local anesthesia in the doctor's office on the ground floor of the White House.  According to ABC News, the White House Medical Unit used a smaller filament that requires more stitches but makes them tighter which will result in a smaller scar.    Well, at least President Obama still has his teeth and Decerega doesn't have a staph infection.  Recently, Wilson Chandler from the NY Knicks lost his tooth by an elbow from former teammate and current Golden State Warrior, David Lee.  The crazy part of this is that Lee got the worst of the incident.  He missed 8 games with a very serious staph infection.





President Obama, like Chandler, was back on the court just two days after catching an elbow in the mouth but I wonder how long it will take for Decerega to step in the paint.

By the way, what other president has been injured while playing sport?

1 comment:

  1. Yikes re: the Staph infection incident! It makes me think about all the times I probably should've been better about cleaning a wound. Next time, I won't be so lax!

    ReplyDelete