A DIFFERENT KIND OF PLAYBOOK

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Shaking My Head Moments of 2010

Whenever there is a scandal in the sports world, I always say the same thing, "What the hell was he or she thinking?" and then I shake my head a.k.a SMH in the texting world.  As I look back at the year in New York sports, I immediately thought of the following five "Shaking My Head" moments:

  1. K-Rod Punches His Father-in-Law Francisco Rodriguez Arrested
    In August, New York Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez was arrested after punching his girlfriend's father in the teams clubhouse.  According to Fox Sports, the assault left, Mr. Carlos Pena with facial bruises and other injuries.  Why would a 28 year-old punch a 62 year-old man in the face?   I don't care what Pena said to K-Rod.  Besides why would K-Rod jeopardize his three-year, $37 million contract with the New York Mets.  Shaking My Head!
  2. Favre Shows His Little Quarterback
    I dedicated an entire post to the Favre's scandal entitled, Here We Go Again and the league has still not decided on whether or not Favre is guilty of misconduct.  They have voicemails from him to Jennifer Sterger as well as photos of his "little quarterback."  What else does the National Football League (NFL) need in order to discipline Favre!  At this point, I am starting to believe that the league is waiting for him to retire, so then don't have to deal with this scandal.  Maybe I should add the NFL to the this list.  Shaking My Head!

  3. Samuels Busted of Placing Bets Through Gambling Ring
    Charlie Samuels spent 27+ years with the New York Mets and he threw it all away for a gambling ring.  According the to the New York Daily News, Samuels was caught on tape placing bets that is allegedly run by the mob.  Rightfully so, the Mets suspended him without pay during the investigation and the only positive aspect of this story is that Samuels took accountability for his actions.  He admitted his involvement if the betting scandal but I am still Shaking My Head!
  4. Oh, Edwards. No Bueno! (No Good)
    At the start of the NY Jets season, wide receiver, Braylon Edwards got pulled over and arrested for a DWI at 4:45 a.m.   Edwards, who was driving teammates D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Vernon Gholston after leaving fellow wide receiver, Jericho Cotchery's benefit in Manhattan.  What's frustrating about this is that it could have been avoided.  The Jets have a Player Protect” program, a 24-hour security and driving service they players can use any time and free of charge within the New York/New Jersey metropolitan area.  Don't tell me that nobody had a cell to make the call.  Shaking My Head!
P.S.  What was your SMH moment in sports this year?


1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you: Favre's "Little Quarterback" moment certainly made me shake my head. The guy could've retired last year and left the field having had a great career; instead, he'll be remembered for this. HIs poor wife.

    ReplyDelete